Instagram gained popularity worldwide after introducing Reels and Direct Messages on their App. Recently that has also merged facebook messenger with Instagram messages meaning more unwanted/spam messages in your inbox. I find it annoying and wanted to close it, but it seems like there is no way to block all incoming messages. The other way is to ignore messages and not let them know you have read them. But, again, there is no option to turn off read receipts on Instagram. Then I explored the app more and found the workaround to turn off read receipts on Instagram. The method doesn’t require any third-party apps, and you can easily perform the steps on your device. In today’s article, we will see how to turn off read receipts on Instagram without third-party apps in a step-by-step manner.
Requirements to turn off read receipts on Instagram –
- You need a Smartphone App installed on your smartphone.
- The app should be logged in with your primary account.
- You should be an Individual or Professional Account holder.
Also Read – How to see who saved your Instagram post?
Step by step guide – How to turn off read receipts on Instagram App?
Please follow these steps exactly as it is to read the messages without knowing them –
- Open Instagram App on your smartphone.
- Tap on your Profile icon from the bottom menu.
- Then tap on the Hamburger menu and then select the ‘Settings’ option.
- Then tap on Notifications and select the ‘Messages and Calls’ option.
- Now, turn OFF the’ Message Requests’ and ‘Messages’ options from the screen.
- Now exit the app and clear it from the recent apps.
- On your device, turn ON Airplane mode.
- Make sure that the Wifi is turned OFF.
- On Android, go to swipe down from the top to open Quick settings and turn off Wifi.
- For iOS, go to the control center and turn off Wifi.
- Now, you open the Instagram app on your device and open the message you want to read without letting them know.
- Once you finish reading, go to the settings and scroll at the bottom, then tap on the ‘Log out’ option.
- Exit the app and clear it from the recent apps.
- You can now turn OFF airplane mode and turn ON the internet.
- You can also login to the app, but the read receipt will not be shown on the message that you have read.
This is how you can easily read messages and solve the problem of message seen on the App.
How to turn off Read Receipts on Instagram on Computer?
The steps for the workaround are pretty much the same as we did on the smartphone.
- Open the Instagram website on your computer’s browser. – Instagram.com
- Then click on your profile photo and select the ‘Settings’ option.
- Now, click on the ‘Push Notifications’ option from the left side menu.
- From the screen, turn OFF ‘Instagram Direct Requests’ and ‘Instagram Direct’.
- Now do not leave the Instagram site and disable Internet connection from your computer by turning off wifi or removing LAN cable.
- Open the Instagram messages and read the message you want to read without letting them know.
- Now, click on your DP and Sign out of your account.
- Close the Instagram website.
- You can now enable the internet connection and login into your account. Your messages will not have ‘seen tick‘.
Since there is no way to turn off read receipts on Instagram, you can use this workaround. If you have any doubts/queries regarding how to turn off read receipts on Instagram, you can write to us in the comment section below.