Is your C drive almost full, and you don’t have a clue what thing is taking so much space that you don’t know of? If you are finding the culprit, then you must check Windows.old filter in the C drive. When you upgrade to a newer version of Windows 10, the system creates windows.old folder and stores the previous version to roll back to the stable version if there are bugs in the newer version or you want to go back to an older version. The Windows.old folder stores the system files of the older version, which in turn takes drive space. If you have decided to stay on the latest version, it’s better to delete the Windows.old folder and clear the space in the C drive. In this guide, we will see how to delete windows.old folder from Windows 10.
Why should you delete windows.old folder?
The reason to delete the windows backup files is to create more space in C drive and remove unwanted files that may slow down the windows boot up or windows general working. Windows automatically deleted windows.old file after 10 days but some changes in the settings may not automatically delete such files, and you have to delete such files manually to free up space in the C drive.
3 ways to delete windows.old folder from Windows 10
- Using storage Sense option.
- Using Disk cleanup tool
- Manually delete windows.old folder
We will see each method in detail –
Method 1 – How to delete windows.old folder using Disk Cleanup tool?
- Open My Computer (This PC) and right-click on the C drive(windows installation folder)
- Now, click on the Disk Cleanup option from the right-click popup tool.
- On the Disk Cleanup tool, “Clean up system files” button and confirm to delete system files.
- Wait until the process completes.
MUST READ – How To Make Windows 10 Boot Faster
Method 2 – How to delete backup files using storage sense?
- Open settings from the start menu or Win+I keys.
- Then click on the System option.
- From the left menu, click on the Storage option.
- Turn ON the Storage sense option first, then from the same page, click on the “Temporary Files” option.
- From the screen, click on the “Previous Windows Installations” option. Then click on the Remove files option and wait for the process to complete.
- Done! the windows.old folder will be removed from the C drive, and you can see more space is available to use.
Method 3 – Manually delete Windows.old folder to increase C drive space
- Open my Computer (This PC) and open the C drive (or windows installation drive).
- Locate the Windows.old folder and right-click on it.
- Then press the Shift+Delete button to delete the folder permanatally.
- Wait till the deleting process completes.
- That’s it, the windows folder now removed from the PC and C drive should have some more space to use.
We hope you are now got the answer to your query “How to delete windows.old folder from Windows 10”. Let us know if you have any additional required information or queries/doubts about the windows installations, Windows 10 formatting, and Windows 10 slow speed.
- How to change video thumbnail in Windows 10?
- How to reduce Brightness below minimum Windows 10?
- How to fix "Touchpad not working in Windows 10"? [9 Easy solutions]
- How to fix critical error your start menu isn't working in windows?
- How to solve "Windows 10 critical process died" error? Find solution here.
- How to clean USB C port on Phone or Laptop without damaging your device
- Fix Windows 10 update stuck at 0[ 6 easy fixes]