Windows 10 is a widely used Operating system worldwide. Since its launch, Microsoft is adding more and more features that consume more RAM. Over the period, Windows 10 starts lagging, and we always wonder how to make windows 10 faster? Well, in this guide, you can make your windows faster than ever. Be assured that all the mentioned tips are working fine, and this will speed up windows 10 performance.
Why your PC hangs/slow up over time?
Before we start the speed up tips, let it be clear that there are some reasons for the slow performance of your PC. This applies to all PCs, but we talk more about Windows 10 here.
- Hardware limitation: The biggest reason for any computer to become slow is hardware that cannot handle so many resources. Ensure that your hardware configurations are the latest and use the programs/software that supports your equipment.
- Extensive Use: Doing too much multitasking over the capability of the computer makes it slow, and it starts responding slowly.
- Services running in Background: There are chances that you install some software that runs in the background even if you close it. Many services running in the background make windows slower to operate.
- Poor Heat dissipation: One of the reasons for the low performance of Windows 10 is lousy heat dissipation. More temperature adds an extra burden to the CPU that makes it run at a lower clock speed.
- C drive space is Low: With less amount of space left in C drive can limit the functionality of the windows 10 operating system which in turn makes windows run slow.
Apart from the above, there are many reasons which affect the performance of the PC.
How to make Windows 10 faster and improve its performance? Comprehensive 21 best settings
Once you identify the problem, it is easier to speed up windows 10. Here are the tips that explain “the windows 10 speed up Process,” which helps you speed up Windows 10 boot and overall performance.
Pro Tip – Most of these methods also work on the other Windows versions like Windows 7,8.
1. Close Background Running Processes to make windows 10 faster
Unwanted programs/processes make the windows run slow. You can close these unnecessary processes from the windows task manager.
- To open the task manager, right-click on the taskbar and select task manager.
- If you can’t see the other tabs in the task manager, select the “more details” option.
- Now Choose the Services tab and close the unwanted services that you don’t need.
Just remember that, don’t close the service that you don’t know. This might stop your PC from responding, and you need to restart it forcefully, which in turn could lose all your unsaved data.
2. Uninstall unnecessary Softwares to make windows 10 faster
We install lots of software. But some of this software is for just one-time use. Over a period, we stop using some apps because we find a better alternative to that app. But we forgot to uninstall the older app. These scenarios create lots of junk in C drive space. Also, it does more burden on RAM if their services still run in the background.
Just identify such Apps and uninstall them through the control panel.
Can’t find the control panel? We have also covered that; follow this guide to know the five easiest ways to open a control panel in windows 10.
Click on the first result, choose the software to uninstall, and click on the uninstall button.
3. Stop startup programs – Speed up Windows 10 boot time
People always complain that their windows take more time to start. This is because many programs start their process as windows start. You can identify programs and close them so that Windows 10 boot takes less time.
You can close startup programs through a task manager—Right-click on the taskbar and select task manager to open it.
Now, choose the start-up tab and select the program you don’t want to start at boot. Right-click on it and select disable.
4. Remove pre-installed apps that come with Windows 10
Many pre-installed apps come with Windows 10. Most of these apps are not necessary, and an average user doesn’t use them.
But the problem with such apps is, they can’t be uninstalled through the control panel. The un-install button for these apps is disabled, and you go helplessly. But from now, you remove such apps by just copy-paste. So let’s do it.
Press Windows + X button to open an admin menu and select the “Run Windows PowerShell (Admin)“option.
Now type the following commands one by one to remove the respective Pre-installed App. You can skip any of these commands if you want to keep that program/app.
Uninstall 3D Builder:
Get-AppxPackage *3dbuilder* | Remove-AppxPackage
Uninstall Alarms and Clock:
Get-AppxPackage *windowsalarms* | Remove-AppxPackage
Uninstall Calendar and Mail:
Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *windowscamera* | Remove-AppxPackage
Uninstall Get Office:
Get-AppxPackage *officehub* | Remove-AppxPackage
Uninstall Get Skype:
Get-AppxPackage *skypeapp* | Remove-AppxPackage
Uninstall Get Started:
Get-AppxPackage *getstarted* | Remove-AppxPackage
Uninstall Groove Music:
Get-AppxPackage *zunemusic* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *windowsmaps* | Remove-AppxPackage
Uninstall Microsoft Solitaire Collection:
Get-AppxPackage *solitairecollection* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *bingfinance* | Remove-AppxPackage
Uninstall Movies & TV:
Get-AppxPackage *zunevideo* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *bingnews* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *onenote* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *people* | Remove-AppxPackage
Uninstall Phone Companion:
Get-AppxPackage *windowsphone* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *bingsports* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *bingweather* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage
Now restart the PC once and feel the speed. You can restart the computer later after applying all the tips mentioned in this guide on how to make windows 10 faster.
5. Close resource-intensive programs through “Resource monitor tool”
Some programs consume lots of resources that increase the burden on RAM. You can close such items to make windows faster.
Resource-hungry programs can be found using the resource monitor tool.
- Open the windows menu and search “resource monitor” and open the tool.
- Now open the CPU tab and sort the list from higher to lower by clicking on the “Average CPU” option.
- Now select which item consumes more resources and that you want to close. Right-click on it and select “end process.”
Make sure to restart the computer after you stop unwanted resources. You can restart the PC later after reading this windows 10 speed up guide completely, which contains more speeding-up tips on the next part.
6. Use the Windows Experience Index to identify the items slowing your PC
Windows experience index is a tool by Microsoft that asses your computer and gives the rating to PC. Ratings are decided as per the performance of various aspects of the PC, including Hardware.
You have to periodically keep an eye on this rating to identify the culprit of the slow performance of the windows. Inferior rank to the computer means you have to work on a suggested item or replace the hardware. Possible suggestions are also given by this tool which helps to make windows faster in less time.
However, Microsoft has discontinued Windows performance Index Tool in Windows 10. But you can use third-party apps that do the same job to help speed windows 10.
In the Chrispc software, you need to click on the Re-run assessment button to start the rating. Wait for some time to complete, and the tool will show you the possible errors on the screen.
7. Increase Virtual Memory of your PC
So far in the guide on how to make windows 10 faster, we have seen many tips to speed up Windows 10 that actually works. But this tip is way more efficient, which significantly shows you the difference in speed.
Windows uses a pool between RAM and Hard drive to create a loop. When one program takes more RAM space, windows shift the less space taking applications in the hard disk space; this hard disk space is automatically created by windows and called a Paging file. Also, this process is called “Swap.”
However, the paging file size is automatically decided, but you change it manually to increase the virtual memory.
- To increase its size Press the Win + R key to launch the Run tool.
- Now type the following path and hit enter.
- The performance Option windows now show on the screen.
- Select the Advanced tab and under the Virtual memory option, click on the Change button.
- Uncheck the “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.”
- Check the Custom size option and enter the desired size in MB.
- Click on the Set button and then Ok to save changes. Click OK to close the window.
Restart the PC for changes to take effect. Anyways, you can restart the PC later after applying all tips mentioned here.
8. Defragment Hard Disk to speed up windows 10, and hard disk read/write speed to make windows 10 faster
A heavily fragmented disk makes read-write speed slow which in turn slows down the Windows speed. A simple de-fragmentation of the drive can speed up Windows 10 significantly.
Defragmenting a disk is such an easy task, but beware, it takes a lot of time for a heavily fragmented hard drive.
Open the Windows menu and type defragment and launch the Windows Defragment and optimise drives tool.
- First of all, click on the Analyze button to analyse the fragmentation level. Then click on Optimize to start the defragmentation process.
- To know the detailed procedure, you can read the How to defragment windows guide.
- Wait for the process to complete and then restart the computer.
9. Dissipate the Heat properly
Improper ventilation and bad head dissipation may lead to an increase in the temperature of the CPU. More temperature of PC means the reduced performance of the CPU. Some of the majors taken to minimize heat generation and effective dissipation are –
- Avoid heat generation by not running more heavy software at a time (if possible, of course). Also, avoid Multitasking with substantial RAM consumer programs.
- Avoid using your laptop that blocks the ventilators and cooling fan outlet.
- If you use your laptop for heavy tasks like video editing, rendering, etc., you can use Cooling pads that you can purchase at mere bucks from an online store. Here are some cheap cooling pads available on the Amazon store. https://amzn.to/2KAlDmJ.
- New gaming desktop PCs come with liquid cooling technologies that give better performance and speed as liquid cooling is more efficient than natural cooling. You can purchase such a computer if you are game savvy and a heavy tasker.
10. Optimise Visual Preferences
Windows 10 comes with more attractive visuals and animations that feel so good while operating. But on the other hand, these visual effects take more RAM and can affect windows performance.
You can disable such visual effects that you don’t like or can compromise them for Windows 10 speed up.
- To disable selective visual effects, you can open the windows menu, search “advanced system settings” and open the first result from the search.
- Now, from the advanced tab, under the performance option, click on the Settings button.
- The new window with all the animation effects shows on the screen. You can disable all animation effects by clicking “Adjust for best performance.” However, you can enable some options if you want.
11. Optimise boot options from System Configuration to make windows 10 faster than ever
optimizing some settings from system configuration can make windows ten faster.
- To open system configuration, press the Win + R button and type “msconfig.” Hit enter to launch it.
- Under the Boot tab, check “No GUI Boot” to speed up Windows 10 boot.
- Click the Advanced options button and then check the option named “Number of processes.” Also, select the higher number from the drop-down list. Click OK to save changes.
- Now click on Apply button and click the OK button. Now, a pop-up window appears that says to restart the computer for changes to take effect. Now, save all your files from the computer and click on the Restart button.
You can restart the PC later as you may want to continue reading this guide on how to make windows ten faster.
12. Change the Power Options
Windows provides the feature to adjust the Power option as per your preference.
Changing the power option to “High performance” significantly speed up Windows 10 computer.
- To open the power options, open the Main menu and Windows Mobility Center. And select the first result.
- Under the power plans, select the “High Performance” option and save the settings.
- Your PC can now run faster than ever.
Please note that choosing a Higher performance mode in the power plan may consume more battery on the laptop.
13. Delete unnecessary temporary files
Over the use, windows create temporary files that consume more resources and also hard disk space. Deleting such temp files to make windows 10 faster.
- Type Win+R to launch Run tool and then time this path-
- Hit enter and select all files to delete them.
- Now, again go to the run tool and type –
- Hit enter and tap continue to allow admin rights.
- Then select all files from opened windows and delete them,
- Again, in the Run tool, type –
- Hit enter and tap continue to allow admin rights. Select all files there and delete them.
- Type Win+R to launch Run tool and then time this path-
As these temporary files are generated automatically over time, you can follow the above steps periodically to clean them up.
14. Clear the disk space using the “Disk Cleanup Tool”
Sometimes full hard disk slowdowns the performance of the windows, as it can’t use space to run the programs.
You can clean the unnecessary files stored on the hard drive, especially from the C drive. This clean up can be done from any windows cleaner Softwares that are available for free. You can download any of this software, but I recommend you to use CC Cleaner software.
You can also clean system files from C drive using the windows clean up tool.
- To open the windows cleanup tool, Open My Computer and right-click on C drive.
- Select Properties and click on “Disk Cleanup.”
- The tool now calculates the unnecessary files and shows you in the new window. Just click Ok to start the cleaning process.
- On the same windows, click on “Clean up system files” to clean system files.
15. Tweak Registry to speed up windows 10
You can edit some registry settings to make them assist in speeding up windows 10.
- To open Registry Editor, press Win + R and type “regedit.” Hit enter to open the tool.
- Go to –
- Now select “MouseHoverTime” option.
- Double click on the option and change the value to 10. Click OK to save the changes.
- From the left side menu, click on “Desktop” and select the “MenuShowDelay” option.
- Double click on the option and change the value to 10. Click OK to save the changes.
These settings reduce the delay when we click on the menu button and over on some objects. This helps in speeding up windows 10 performance.
16. Disable Windows Update
Starting from Windows 10, Microsoft disabled the option to stop windows update. Because of this, windows update keeps running in the background and consumes the resources. Also, it consumes the internet in the background without knowing you.
However, you can disable windows updates by performing some tasks and make windows 10 faster. You can read the guide on How to disable Windows 10 update permanently to know the detailed steps.
The latest windows update 1903 (May 2019 update) brings a pause Updates Feature. Using this feature, you can pause the updates for 7 days once the Pause Updates button is clicked. Pressing the same button multiple times would increase the days by 7 and so on. So, if you want to pause updates for 28 days, you have to press the Pause Updates buttons 4 times.
17. Turn off the Windows suggestions feature to make windows 10 faster
Windows scans your PC and shows you the tips/ideas to make the user experience better. However, this tool consumes the RAM as it continuously scans your actions and finds possible advice. But, if you are a windows 10 User for a long time, you might not need such suggestions. You can disable it to speed up windows 10 performance to some extent.
To disable this feature, go to Settings –> System –> Notifications & actions, then under Notifications options, turn off “Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use windows.”
18. Use Windows ReadyBoost to speed up windows 10 performance using USB
ReadyBoost is a feature that uses the USB drive as an additional RAM to speed up Windows performance. You can use this utility and see a significant change in performance. Read the detailed article about ReadyBoost from the Microsoft ReadyBoost page.
19. Improve Apps performance through Graphics settings
Improving the performance of the individual app makes it load faster. If some of your programs taking a long time to load and hangs while operating, you can use this setting to increase their performance.
- Go to Settings –> System –> Display –> Graphics settings. Here, select the classic app and click on choose app. Then head over to the Programs directory in C drive and choose the program you want to speed up.
- Once the program show under the list, click on it and open the options menu. Select the “High performance” option here, and click Save.
This way, you can speed up the particular app, which in turn speeds up the windows.
20. Upgrade the Hardware
An old PC becomes outdated in some departments. Hardware is not compatible or can’t handle the newly made software that comes with new features and requires more resources.
You can upgrade some parts of the hardware within your budget. Some of these are RAM, Processor, and add more features. It is somewhat ambiguous in the case of the laptop, but desktop PCs can be easily upgraded.
SSD is also an option to make windows faster. Solid State Drives (SSD) is a new technology that is way faster than the traditional HDD. You can upgrade to SSD to experience faster performance.
21. Extend C Drive space if it’s full
If the C drive becomes full or has less space remaining, you may see lags on your PC. Read-write speed becomes slow when C drive space is less. In this case, you have to increase the C drive space to experience faster performance. But, there is no straight way to increase C drive space without formatting it. But you can do it with little extra effort. Read the guide Extend C drive without formatting to do the same.
Infographics- All the points covered on How to make windows 10 faster
How to make windows 10 faster is the only question that comes to your mind when you get frustrated with your slow-running PC. However, speeding up windows is not so hard; it’s an easy process that I have explained to you. By following all these 21 settings, you can speed up the performance and make windows 10 faster in [year]. I hope you will be able to speed up windows 10 with these settings and enjoy using your faster PC.