All of us using a computer will face a common issue of slow booting of our devices. In today’s article on How to make Windows 10 boot faster, we will discuss all the possible ways by which you can reduce the booting time off your computer Windows 10 Operating System.
With technological advancement, day by day, we are getting more modern and powerful computers introduced. But still, this old problem of waiting for your PC to restart has not been solved yet. So, if you are fed up with waiting too long in front of your PC, then the following process will definitely help you out.
- How to make windows 10 boot faster?
- Method 1 – Enable Windows Fast Startup Mode to make it boot faster
- Method 2 – Reduce Startup Programs to make windows 10 boot faster
- Method 3 – Clear C drive space to make windows boot faster
- Method 4 – Defragment Hard Drive
- Method 5 – Optimize boot option to make windows 10 boot faster
- Method 6 – Upgrade to a Solid State Drive(SSD)
How to make windows 10 boot faster?
We will discuss 5 major methods to deal with this problem, namely:
- Enable Windows Fast Startup Mode,
- Reduce Startup Programs
- Clear C drive Space
- Defragment C drive
- Optimize Boot Options
- Upgrade to a Solid State Drive(SSD)
Method 1 – Enable Windows Fast Startup Mode to make it boot faster
Under the first method of How to make Windows 10 boot faster, we will use a built-in feature in Windows 10 to help you cut down its reboot time by almost 65%. This feature is similar to hibernation mode. But unlike hibernation mode, it will not save your running applications when your PC is turned off. Instead, the operating system will go to hibernation without being turned off completely. So the system will start much faster than before.
The following steps will help you to enable the Fast Startup Mode:
- Step1: Go to your search bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Step2: Search “Control Panel” on it. Know different ways to open a control panel in windows 10.
- Step3: Now, select the “Small Icons” option from View by.
- Step4: On the Control Panel Window, you will find lots of system settings options. Choose “Power options” from it.
- Step5: From the left panel, select What The Power Button Do.
- Step6: You will see Shutdown Settings on the new Window, and you will find all the options greyed out. Locate and click “change settings that are currently unavailable“.
- Step7: The greyed-out options will now be accessible. Just check the turn on fast startup option from the list.
- Step8: Click on Save Changes, and you are all set to go.
You can restart the windows once to make the changes take effect. Now, head over to the next method to reduce windows 10 booting time even further.
Also Read – How to download Genuine Windows 10 setup
Method 2 – Reduce Startup Programs to make windows 10 boot faster
Sometimes your PC takes a long to reboot due to a large number of programs that are set to launch at startup. So, to reduce the startup period, you must reduce the startup programs by disabling the unnecessary ones.
We have listed down steps by which you can check all the programs that are set to launch during your PC’s startup.
- Step 1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc; it will bring up your Task Manager.
- Step 2. Click on more details at the bottom.
- Step 3. Go to the startup tab, and you will find a list of programs that are scheduled to start with your reboot.
- Step4: Find the unnecessary programs that are starting with the boot, right-click on such the program and click on Disable option.
Delete desktop shortcuts starting with the boot –
You can also open the File Explorer and type on the address bar-
This will open the startup folder. Delete all the unnecessary shortcuts there as any shortcuts there will start with your Windows automatically.
Method 3 – Clear C drive space to make windows boot faster
Many times we keep adding files to the C drive that makes it full and then no space remains for Windows smooth operation. Windows 10 more time to boot if the C drive space is limited. You can clear the space in the C drive by deleting temp. files, moving your personal files to another drive, etc.
If the C drive is taking all the space by windows 10 files itself then you must think to extend the C drive. We have covered the steps on How to extend the C drive without losing any data. Read the guide completely to increase C drive space and reduce the startup time.
Method 4 – Defragment Hard Drive
A heavily fragmented C drive may result in longer boot time. You can defragment the C drive using the Windows 10 built-in tool to make windows 10 boot faster.
- Click on the Windows icon and type Defragment.
- open defragment and Optimize drive tool.
- A defragment tool now opens in a new window. Here, select C drive and click on Analyze button.
- A tool will calculate the fragment percentage of the C drive.
- Then click on Optimize button to start the defragmentation process.
- Wait for the process to complete. The time of completion may vary depending upon the percentage of fragmentation.
- Once the process is completed, close the window and restart the computer once.
Read Next – How to declutter Gmail for good in 3 easy steps?
Method 5 – Optimize boot option to make windows 10 boot faster
optimizing some settings from system configuration can make windows ten faster.
- To open system configuration, press the Win + R button and type “msconfig.” Hit enter to launch it.
- Under the Boot tab, check “No GUI Boot” to speed up Windows 10 boot.
- Click the Advanced options button and then check the option named “Number of processes.” Also, select the higher number from the drop-down list. Click OK to save changes.
- Now click on Apply button and click the OK button. Now, a pop-up window appears that says to restart the computer for changes to take effect. Now, save all your files from the computer and click on the Restart button.
You can restart the PC later as you may want to continue reading this guide on how to make windows 10 boot faster.
Method 6 – Upgrade to a Solid State Drive(SSD)
Nowadays, traditional hard disks are being replaced with Solid State Drives or SSD in most modern computers. The SSD makes your PC much faster than HDD does. All the programs running in it will take considerably less time to launch, which implies on your Windows 10 operating system also.
So here comes the question that why does this happen? The answer is over time, the files on your HDD get fragmented. As a result, the computer slows down as it has to check multiple places on your hard drive for these pieces. You can use a built-in tool to defragment those files, but it will only give a temporary solution.
If you install your Windows 10 in SSD, there will be no problem like fragmentation of files. It will ensure your smooth running off your operating system and significantly reduce reboot timing. But the most significant disadvantage of upgrading is that most computers may not have a motherboard to facilitate SSD installation. Furthermost, SSDs are way more expensive than conventional hard drives. But if you are not worried about the cost, we recommend you upgrade to an SSD.
After you upgrade to SSD, you need to copy your licensed Windows 10 to SSD from the hard drive. We have covered all the methods on How to Clone Windows 10 to SSD? By reading this guide, you will be able to clone windows 10 without any hassle.
Want to optimize your computer performance? Then read our comprehensive guide on How to make windows 10 faster.
To sum up, we must say that it is pretty much possible for Windows 10 users to cut down the reboot time significantly. You just have to know the correct process to do so. We hope you have found our article on How to make Windows 10 boot faster helpful and will save your precious time. Stay tuned for our next blog.