Instagram is an entertaining social media platform with loads of features, and it has a strong AI engine to recommend the contents you like. It’s designed, so you spend as much time possible on the site. That’s why it keeps all the records of your interests and provides you with content to consume based on that on your News Feed. It also has a dedicated search page that stores your previous search history and provides suggestions below the search bar. But it’s not always accurate, and you get mismatched suggestions most of the time.
So, this article will help you learn how to clear Instagram search suggestions so that you can have a better experience when you revisit the search page or get better content on your news feed.
This article provides instructions on how to clear Instagram search suggestions from an Android phone, but it’s mostly the same on an iPhone with a few UI element changes here and there.
How to clear Instagram search suggestions?
Before we clear Instagram search suggestions, you need to do a few things first. When you open the search page and start to type, you might see some results already there below the search bar. We first need to get rid of those. You can remove them entirely, but you might want to keep some of the suggestions, so let’s roll with this option first.
A] Remove search suggestions from the Instagram search
It’s pretty straightforward; all you need to do is-
- Open the Instagram app and go to the Search tab
- Tap on the Search bar located at the very top.
- Once you tap on the search bar, you’ll see a list of options already been there. It’s mostly your search history.
- Click on See All to open your Search History.
- Now all you need to do is tap on the cross mark next to the profile name, which will remove the profile from your search history.
- Alternatively, you can tap on Clear All, removing everything. So if you want to keep some of the previously searched profiles, do not use that option.
B] Clear search history from the settings.
If you do not want to keep any of your search histories, there is a way to do that with just one tap. Here’s how-
- Open the Instagram app on your Android or iPhone and log into your account.
- Go to your Profile from the bottom left of your screen.
- Now, tap on the Hamburger menu icon on the top right corner of the app
- Now open Settings.
- Find the Security option and tap on it.
- Under the Data and History section, tap on Search History
- Now tap on the Clear All button and confirm to clear all your search history from your account.
How to clear Instagram search suggestions and Reset it?
Clearing only the search history won’t automatically reset the search page suggestions. You have to manually provide Instagram feedback that the things you are seeing on your search suggestions are not relevant to your liking. The process is a little time-consuming and tedious. But with some free time in your hands, by doing this, you’ll have a better Instagram browsing experience.
Once you are on the search page, you’ll see many suggestions below the search bar. It’s a combination of photos and videos from different creators. Here you may find some things you like, but if your suggestions are unsuitable, you’ll see much irrelevant content being suggested to you. We need to get rid of the unwanted posts one by one. Here is how you can do that-
- Tap on the Instagram Search Page.
- Now, find the posts you don’t want to be there. Now tap on one of them.
- Now tap on the three-dot menu on the top right of the post, and you’ll get four options.
- Tap on the Not Interested Option.
- Doing this will hide the post, and Instagram will get direct feedback from you that you don’t like such content.
Now you’ll have to do that to every post you don’t find interesting. Try to make it a habit; every time you see a post you don’t like on your Instagram feed, let them know that you are not interested in such kinds of posts. Doing this enough times will improve the AI engine, and you’ll get customized suggestions from Instagram. To improve your news feed, even more, unfollow some people that make contents you don’t like or don’t find that much interesting. Here is a link to our article on how to unfollow someone on Instagram-
Now let’s summarise this article about how to clear Instagram search suggestions. You need to do three main things to improve your Instagram suggestions –
- Clear your previous search history
- Mark posts that you don’t want to see as Not Interested over and over again
- Unfollow unwanted people that make such content.
If you have any other doubts and queries, let us know in the comment section below. For more articles related to Instagram, check out our dedication Instagram section.
- How to reset instagram explore page? [1 Minute easy read]
- How to turn off read receipts on Instagram? [without 3rd Party Apps]
- How to see who saved your Instagram post?
- How to add location in Instagram bio [in 5 easy steps]
- How to change Instagram password without old password? [in 5 easy steps]
- How to make a group chat on Instagram [in 5 easy steps]