This guide will discuss how to repair windows 10 without CD or USB or anything else.
At times what happens is while running a Windows PC, we encounter some errors. We may face many issues say, for instance, your PC not booting properly, getting stuck at boot loops, blue screen of death issue, getting pop-ups or some issues after you’ve booted, maybe a program malfunctioning, driver issues, issues caused by windows update, corrupt registry or corrupt windows files, or a total crash of the system, etc.
If you have any of these issues, the first thing you need to do is repair your Windows 10. But in most cases, to repair windows, you need a CD or a USB to start the repair process. If you have a CD or USB, there are countless ways to repair your system, But if you don’t have any of those available with you, you have limited options available to you. So this guide will teach you some methods of how to repair windows 10 without CD or USB involved in the process.
How to repair Windows 10 without CD or USB?
There are two possible scenarios when you try to repair your PC. Either your PC boots up normally or not. Depending on the situation, we will provide the solutions below-
[A] Repair Windows 10 if Windows boots normally
If you can boot into your system properly and then encounter some issues, you can initiate a Startup repair process from your settings. Here is how you can do that-
Method 1: Use Startup Repair to fix issues
- Step1: From Start Menu, Go to Settings
- Step2: From the Settings, go to Update & Security.
- Step3: On the next screen, click on Recovery, and from the right panel Advanced Startup option, click Restart Now. This will restart your PC and take you to a windows PE screen.
- Step4: On this Windows PE screen, along with other options, you’ll find an option called Troubleshoot. Click on it.
- Step5: Now click on Advanced Options.
- Step6: On the next screen, select Start-UP Repair.
- Step7: Now select Your account, enter your password(if you have any), and hit Continue.
[B] How to repair Windows 10 without CD when you can’t boot into Windows?
If you are stuck in a boot loop and cannot perform Startup repair via normal means, you can force your system to automatically start the repair process by doing a little trick-
- Step1: Turn your computer ON, and as soon as the Windows logo appears, press and hold the Power button again to perform a hard shut down.
- Step2: Repeat this process at least 2-3 times until it says starting Automatic repair
This will start Diagnosing your PC for any issues you are having. If it finds any issues, it will automatically fix them for you.
If, in any case, it couldn’t find any issue, you’ll be given two options. Either to shut down or to go to advanced options again. Since this method didn’t work for you, click on the Advanced option, and now we will move on to the second method-
Method 2: Use Command Prompt
Since startup repair didn’t work out for us, we will use the command prompt option found on the advanced options to try and repair your windows 10. We can perform two operations using the command prompt 1. Running an SFC scan or 2. Try BootRec Commands.
1. Run an SFC scan
- In the command window type,” SFC /scan now” and hit enter. This will scan any errors and fix them instantly. After
sfc /scan now
- This will scan any errors and fix them instantly. After completion, you can restart and check if issues are resolved or not.
Note: Do not close the command window untill you see the verification 100% complete messege.
2. Try BootRec Commands
This tool helps you resolve any boot-related issues, including boot loops. To run this process-
- In the command window, type the following command lines one by one while pressing Enter key after each command.
bootrec /fixmbr bootrec /fixboot bootrec /scanos bootrec /rebuildbcd
After running all the commands, restart your PC and see if the problems are resolved.
The 2 methods mentioned above are the basic solutions you need to try once you run into any trouble with your system. But even after doing all these, if your issues don’t get solved, you need to try the next two methods we will discuss. Mind you, these methods are not as simple as the earlier ones, and we recommend these only during an emergency. Otherwise, if you got enough time and resources in your hands, sincerely try to get a USB and try repairing your PC with a bootable OS. So let’s try again-
Method 3: How to repair windows 10 without cd by performing a System Restore?
Disclaimer : This methods Will only work if you have created a restore point before. Some OEMs provide a restore point in a small recovery drive when you purchase your PC( Mostly Laptop Manufacturers do this). If you don't have one please ignore this solution and go to the next. Assuming you have a restore point here is the step by step solution-
If you want to learn how to create a restore point for the future, you can browse our article linked below and scroll to the ‘create rescue media’ part. This article teaches how to create a system restore point on a USB flash drive, but you can always create a system restore point in an empty system drive using the same steps-
- Step1: The first few steps are the same as we did in earlier methods. Go to the Windows PE screen and click on Troubleshoot>Advanced options.
- Step2: Now click on the System Restore option.
- Step3: Now select Your account, enter your password (if you have any), and press Continue.
- Step4: Select one restore point created before and then click Next.
- Step5: Now confirm your restore point settings and click Finish to continue.
After the system restore process is finished, restart your system and check if everything is working as usual or not.
Method 4: How to repair windows 10 without CD by Resetting your system?
This is the last method we will discuss today on how to repair windows 10 without cd guide.
You can completely reset your Operating System as it was from the settings. This will solve any issue you are currently facing. However, we suggest this as the last resort to solve your issues. If all of the above-mentioned methods do not work for you, you can reset your windows. To do this
- Step1: Once again, if your Windows is booting normally, you can do this from the settings, or you have to force your system to the windows PE screen as we did earlier.
- Step2: Go to the Windows PE screen and click on Troubleshoot.
- Step3: Now select Reset this PC.
- Step4: On clicking this, you’ll be provided with two options. You can either choose “Keep my files“( which will remove only apps and settings but keeps your personal files.), or you can choose “Remove everything” ( Which, as the name suggests, will remove all your personal files, apps, and settings.). Choose the option you are comfortable with. ( we suggest you backup your personal files beforehand if you are in a position to do so and select the remove everything option)
- Step5: After that, follow the onscreen instruction. Let the system Reset properly and then restart. This should remove any issue you are facing in your windows 10.
Since you reset your system, you may have to set your apps again, change some settings to optimize them. We have written the article on First things to do after installing windows 10. Do read this guide and set your system as per your preferences.
We hope one of these four methods helped you solve your issues. But even after doing all this, some problem persists; you don’t have any option left other than Reinstalling your Windows, which you cannot do without a CD or USB.
So, this concluded our article on how to repair windows 10 without CD. If you have any doubts, leave a comment below this article, and one of us will help you solve the issue. Other than that, if you want to make your windows 10 run even faster, read our article below-