Since Windows 8, Microsoft has included System recovery option to recover windows from installation media like USB drive or disc drive. Windows 8, 8.1 and latest Windows 10 have recovery media creation tool that lets you create a USB recovery drive image. This image then, can be used to re-install the windows from advanced boot options menu.
Advanced boot options have an ability to recover the PC from known common problems that can come handy when your pc can’t perform as expected. Although, advanced options can’t re-install the windows and if such options won’t able to recover your pc, then you have to use the option like Recovery drive. USB recovery drive for windows 10 actually contains all advanced boot options and in addition to that, it contains all necessary files required to re-install the operating system.
How system Recovery drive is different from system repair disc/drive
System repair disc is actually the advanced boot options created and stored on the disc drive. While recovery drive copies the files that are required to reinstall the windows. Recovery drive also contains advanced boot options.
System repair disc can be used on any computer to fix the problems (with the same version of windows), while USB recovery drive can only be used to re-install them on the same computer and the same version of operating system that the drive is made on.
While using system repair disc options, your personal data will not get erased, but while re-install get system using USB Windows 10 USB recovery drive, personal data will be erased.
It is advisable to backup your personal data from your computer ( basically a C drive data like download folder, photos, music, etc) before performing USB recovery drive method.
Let’s check how to create a recovery image for windows 10
How to create USB recovery drive for windows 10
Such images can be created on the USB drive or a Disc drive. Since USB recovery drive is very handy, we will see how to create it with USB drive/pen drive.
Note that a USB drive with at least 8 GB of storage capacity is recommended. The USB drive will be formatted during the process, so backup your data to other storage.
- Step 1 – Connect the USB drive to your PC. Make sure to use the fastest port to speed up the process.
- Step2 – From the bottom of the window, click on windows logo to open windows main menu.
- Step3 – now in Cortana search bar, type “recovery drive” and click on the “create a recovery drive” option form displayed search results.
- Step4 – The new windows shows up on a screen. From here, you need to select “Back up system files to the recovery drive“. This option copies the necessary files required to reinstall the windows. Wait until the tool gathers all required file, it may take some time. Once done, click on Next button.
- Step5 – on the next screen, select the USB drive that you want to create as a Windows 10 USB recovery drive. Click Next.
- Step6 – The message shows that data from USB drive will be deleted, as mentioned above, copy your USB data to elsewhere. When done, click on Create button.
- Step7 – Recovery drive creation process will now take some time to complete its procedure. Wait until the process completed and do not shut down the PC.
- Step8 – After completing the process, the window now shows “The recovery drive is ready“. You can now close the window by clicking Finish button.
Your windows 10 USB recovery drive is now ready and you can use it any time to re-install the windows 10.
How to re-install windows USB recovery drive
Now that you have created the USB recovery drive, you can use it to fix the windows and re-install the system.
Recovery menu can only be accessed from advanced boot options. To access advanced boot options follow this procedure.
Once you are in the advanced boot menu, go to system image recovery options by navigating using arrow keys on the keyboard. Now connect your USB recovery drive to PC and click next to start the recovery process. This process may take some time, so be patient and wait until the process completes.
Once done, click on restart button to restart the system. Your windows is now re-installed and all problems are now fixed. You can now install your desired programs, and change settings as per your preferences.
- How to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Home without losing data? [In 30 minutes]
- What drivers to install after installing windows 10?
- How to downgrade from windows 11 to windows 10 without losing data? [within 30 minutes]
- How to make Windows 10 bootable USB for FREE?[ 2 Easy Methods]
- How to repair windows 10 without CD or USB? [4 Easy Methods]
- How to Clone Windows 10 to SSD? [ 2 Simple and Free Ways]
- How to download Genuine Windows 10 setup