Windows computer becomes slow over time. Believe me or not, it’s a fact. I have been using it an over a decade now, and every time I have to clean up the windows to make it faster. You may also feel slowness when opening the software, sluggish UI, random force close, or reboots. That’s because of the many reasons we will see today. We will see how to clean up Computer to run faster Windows 10 in a very descriptive and well-structured manner.
Windows has many apps and services that we don’t use frequently, or some people won’t use them at all. Such apps keep running in the background and make windows slower. We will see many reasons that make windows slow and fixes to make windows run faster.
How to clean up Computer to run faster Windows 10?
- Solution 1- Defragment Windows
- Solution 2 – Delete Cache files and temp files
- Solution 3 – Optimize Visual Settings
- Solution 4 – How to clean up Computer to run faster windows 10 by removing unused Apps.
- Solution 5 – How to clean up the computer to run faster windows 10 by clearing Browser Cache
- Solution 6 – Debloat Windows
How to clean up Computer to run faster Windows 10?
Since we have made a comprehensive guide on how to make windows 10 faster, the list of cleaning up windows will be different. You can follow the fixes one by one till the last and get the maximum benefit of this post.
Solution 1- Defragment Windows
One of the most contributing factors to slow windows is fragmented hard drives. When you store data in the drive, it gets allocated to the drive at random available spaces. While reading, it takes time to collect the data from random locations, and it feels slow to read. Windows do not fragment drives automatically and need to be done manually. Let’s know how to do it –
- Open Settings on your Windows 10 computer/laptop.
- In the search box, type ‘Defragment‘ and select the option ‘Defragment and optimize your drives‘ option.
- Optimize the drive window, Select the Drive Letter and click on the ‘Analyze‘ button.
- Windows will now calculate the amount of fragmentation on the selected partition.
- Now click on the ‘Optimize‘ button to start the defragmentation process.
- The process will take some time. Please wait until the process is completed and not abort the process in between.
- Once done, repeat the same process (from step 3 to step 6) for each drive on your computer that is eligible for defragmentation.
Once all the drives are defragmented, you can now reboot the computer and head over to the next solution. Read the detailed procedure on how to defragment windows.
Solution 2 – Delete Cache files and temp files
Windows is known for storing junk files and temporary files in not-so-public places. The files stay there for many days and slow down the background processes, which in turn makes windows slow.
To remove temporary files from the C drive, do this –
- Open settings and search for ‘Run‘.
- Once the run tool launches, type ‘Temp‘ and hit enter.
- The temporary files folder opens in the new window.
- Select all the files from here and delete them.
- Again open the Run tool and type – ‘Prefetch‘.
- You can select all the files from here and delete them.
Clear temporary files from Settings –
- Open Settings and go to System.
- Click on the storage option, select ‘Temporary files,’ and select relevant unnecessary files.
- Click on the ‘Remove Files‘ button to start the cleaning process.
Solution 3 – Optimize Visual Settings
The ways windows look through UI settings, the better the UI consumes more RAM and resources. Someone who may not need greater visual details can reduce the cosmetic feel and gain speed against it.
- Open Settings (Windows + I) and select the ‘Personalization‘ option.
- Select the ‘Colors‘ option.
- From the various Colors options, turn off Transparency Effects, Automatically pick an accent color from my background, and Show accent color on Start, taskbar, action center, Title bars, and windows borders.
- From the left menu, select Lock Screen and turn off “Get fun facts, tips, and more windows and Cortana on your lock screen”. Also, change the background to Picture instead of Spotlight.
Solution 4 – How to clean up Computer to run faster windows 10 by removing unused Apps.
The installed apps on your computers contribute more to slowing down windows. Some apps are not used at all and can be installed safely.
- Open Settings on your computer.
- Open the Apps option from the settings.
- A list of all installed apps is displayed on your screen.
- Identify the app which is not needed and click on the ‘Uninstall‘ button.
- Remove the apps one by one that is not needed.
Solution 5 – How to clean up the computer to run faster windows 10 by clearing Browser Cache
A slow browsing experience can be caused by cache and cookies stored in the browser. To clear the cache on the Chrome browser, do this –
- Open the Chrome browser and open the settings.
- Go to the ‘Privacy and Security’ option.
- Open option ‘Clear browsing history‘ option.
- Select the browsing history and cookies option and click on the ‘Clear Data‘ button.
Similar steps can be followed to clear the Microsoft Edge browser and Firefox Browser.
Solution 6 – Debloat Windows
There are many unwanted programs and features present in Windows 10 that most people don’t use. The windows debloater tool removes such unwanted programs from your computer that not only make windows faster but also makes boots windows in less time.
- Download the Windows 10 debloater tool on your computer.
- Unzip the file and right-click on the Windows10DebloaterGUI file.
- Then click on the Run with Powershell.
- You can now see many options on debloater tool window. Select the Custome Blocklist option and select the programs that you don’t need. The most common bloatware on windows are 3D Builder, Get Office, Get Skype, Get Started, OneNote News, People, phone companion, Sports, Xbox, Moview&TV, Money, Microsoft Solitaire Collection, Groove Music, Maps, Weather, etc.
- On the tool, you can now click on the ‘Remove Bloatware with custom blocklist‘ option.
- The tool will remove the programs one by one.
- On the tool, there are other options also that you can try, such as – Enable/Disable Cortana, Uninstall OneDrive, Remove reg keys, etc.
Once done, you may restart the computer and see the difference.
Microsoft Windows is a popular OS and is majorly used by working professionals. A delay due to slow windows UI and switching between apps can create a big issue for many of us. In this guide, we have seen six useful solutions that fix your problem on how to clean up computer to run faster windows 10. You can also suggest better ways that you already know in the comment section below.
- How to connect AirPods to Windows 11?
- How to Remove OneDrive From Computer? [1-Click - No command Method]
- How to make Windows 10 faster than ever [21 best settings]
- How to fix Error 0x8000400000000002 in Windows 10? [6 Easy fixes]
- [2 Easy methods] How to fix windows 10 brightness slider missing issue in 5 minutes?
- [Solved] 10 ways to fix Windows 10 Bluetooth Missing in Settings problem