Most of the Windows 10 users face a unique problem of brightness slider missing in their notification panels, display settings, and the shortcut keys for brightness adjustment are also not working. The problem is generally caused due to corrupt display or monitor drivers. So, in today’s article, we will show you how to fix Windows 10 brightness slider missing. It is a simple and straightforward process and doesn’t require any 3rd party software installation. For your convenience, we have segregated the process into two parts.
How to fix Windows 10 brightness slider missing issue?
- Upgrading the Display Drivers.
- Upgrading the Monitor Drivers.
We will see both methods in step-by-step instructions.
Method 1 – Upgrade the Display Drivers to fix Windows 10 brightness slider missing issue
This is the first method. It will fix your corrupted display driver, and you get your Missing Brightness Slider back on your computer by following the below steps.
- Step1: Right-click on the Start menu and select the Device Manager option from the list.
- Step2: From the Device Manager Window, locate and select the Display Adapters option to expand it. You will find your display drivers there.
- Right-click on the built-in CPU display driver and select Update Driver from the drop-down menu.
- A new window will open in front of you; click on the first option, i.e., Search automatically for drivers. Then, the system will search for the latest version of drivers and install it automatically.
- After successful installation, again right-click on the display driver and select Properties.
- Select Driver from the top panel.
- Click on the Update Driver button.
- A window will open in front of you with two options. Click on the second option, i.e., Browse my computer for drivers.
- Now choose the latest driver from the list and click next. The driver will be installed on your computer.
- Repeat the same process with another driver present, i.e., Graphics card driver.
By now, many of you can locate the display slider on the notification panel and Display Settings option. However, if it not works, you have to consider that you have something wrong with the Monitor Drivers, and you have to perform the second method to get your work done.
Method 2 – Upgrade the Monitor Drivers to fix Windows 10 brightness slider missing issue
Restart your computer once before using the next method. By completing the following steps, you will be able to upgrade your Monitor Drivers, which may be the leading cause of your windows 10 brightness slider missing.
- Right-click on the Start menu and select the Device Manager option from the list.
- Expand the Monitor Option from the Device Manager window.
- You can locate a PnP-Monitor Lock (Standard). Right-click on it and select Properties from the drop-down menu.
- Select Driver from the panel above.
- Click on the Update Driver button.
- Click on the Browse my computer for drivers option from the new window.
- Select Driver>Update Driver>Let me pick from the list options.
- Now choose the Generic PnP Monitor instead of PnP-Monitor Lock (Standard) and click next. The system will change the driver to Generic PnP Monitor automatically.
Now go to your notification panel, and hopefully, you will find the missing brightness slider there. You can also check the display settings by pressing Windows key+I button and selecting the System>Display option. Again, you can locate the brightness slider there.
By following the above two methods, you will solve your problem of windows 10 brightness slider missing.
How to fix Windows 10 brightness slider missing using third-party software?
However, if it doesn’t work, you can still download the latest display drivers from the company’s website and use or install a 3rd party software from Microsoft Store and use it. Though you will find much software present, we are discussing only one named Driver Pack Solution that will do your work.
To use this software, download and install it from https://drp.su/en and follow the following steps. ( You can also use their online service to install missing brightness driver).
- Launch the software and start the scanning for missing drivers.
- Locate the brightness drivers and start the installation.
- Once the driver installation is completed, restart your pc and then check if the windows 10 brightness slider missing issue is fixed.
How to adjust brightness on External Monitor in Windows 10?
Windows 10 cannot control the brightness of the external monitors connected via DP or HDMI port. If you are using an external monitor, you can easily adjust the brightness through the external buttons present on the panel. You can adjust brightness on external monitors without using buttons by this method.
I hope our above article will help solve the problem of Windows 10 brightness slider missing.