Every Internet Service provider has configured the DNS so that your computer/device can communicate with each other and ultimately able to browse any website. But if your ISP’s DNS server is not that fast, you can select other free DNS providers to get faster speed. In this article, I have explained, what is DNS and how to change DNS on Android phone.
- What is DNS?
- How to change DNS on android
What is DNS?
Domain Name System is incorporated to simplify the IP address. Every server has its own IP address. While visiting to any site, we are actually communicating to the servers IP address. But a Human being can’t remember the IP address of such many servers. So to simplify this, we have a Domain name system, which assigns simple words ( called as domain) so that we can remember it.
Role of DNS –
This domain name once opened in the browser, send a request to DNS server and from there it changes to IP address and then communicated to respected Server of that IP address.
For simplicity lets assume, you want to open our site, amtricks.com. When you type this address in your browser’s address bar and hit enter, the browser sends this information to your Internet provider’s DNS server. Now the DNS server converts this domain name to an IP address where our site is located. Requested page data will then sent by the server to your browser and then displayed.
Effect of slow DNS server –
This process of sending the domain name to DNS server should be faster to get a quick response from the website’s server. But most of the local ISP’s don’t have fast DNS server and you may face slow loading of the websites.
Even f you have fast download upload speeds, you may face websites are opening slow due to slow DNS server. In this case, you might want to change the DNS servers which are fast.
There are many free as well as paid DNS providers available. In the free sections, we have good providers like Open DNS, Google DNS and recently launched Cloudflare DNS.
How to change DNS on android
For this post, we will see how to set the Cloudflare’s 188.8.131.52 DNS in your android without root and for rooted phone.
How to change DNS on Non- Rooted Android Phone
If you are using official ROM for your phone and not rooted, then follow this guide to change your DNS
Method 1 – Change DNS on android from settings ( For Android Pie version Only )
Android Pie has incorporated the DNS settings natively in the settings.
- Open the settings from the launcher.
- Now tap on the Network and Internet option.
- Tap on Private DNS option.
- Now, select custom DNS option and enter your DNS address i.e –
- Tap on the Save button to save the settings.
Method 2 – Using Wifi settings
This method is simple and modifies your wifi settings to change the DNS servers.
- Open the Settings from your phone’s launcher.
- Now tap on the Network and Internet option.
- Open the Wifi Settings and then long-press on Active wifi connection.
- tap on Modify the network.
- Now you are in Wifi network settings. Here, tap on the advanced option and select Static IP from the IP setting.
- Now scroll little down and you will get the option to change DNS.
- Enter the DNS address of your choice in the DNS1 section. Here I will enter Cloudflare DNS address, i.e 184.108.40.206
- If DNS has alternate DNS address, then enter it to DNS2 section.
the drawback of this method is, it changes the DNS only for Wifi networks. If you are using SIM card internet connection then this method is not useful and you have to check the method 2.
Method 3 – Change DNS on android using DNS changer App
As we see, method 1 cannot change the DNS in android versions below Pie for SIM card network, we have a DNS changer app to serve the purpose.
- Download DNS Changer App from play store and open it.
- In the first option, select the DNS provider you want to incorporate.
- If you want to set custom DNS settings, then select Custom DNS and enter the DNS address.
- Now Tap on Start Button to start the DNS service on your whole device.
Also Read – How to change DNS on Windows 10
How to change DNS on rooted Android Device
- Download the DNS forwarder app from play store and open it.
- Give the root permission to the app.
- Now, toggle the DNS Forwarder option to enable it.
- Click on DNS server option to edit it and change the DNS address.
How to change the DNS on android explains you to change the DNS in the non-rooted and rooted phone. However, Android pie is native support for custom DNS. If you have any question, a query regarding this post, feel free to write down in the comment section below.