Windows 10 is a feature-rich Operating System for Computers. Windows users can now back up their important folders from the computer to cloud storage. In case of system restore or full format, you may lose your important files. It’s always better to keep the backup of your work folder, an important folder on the cloud so that you can restore them and access them at any time. In today’s article, we will see two methods to backup specific folder in windows 10 to cloud storage.
Why do you need to backup important folder to cloud storage?
You must consider the fact that your system may crash and you can not boot your PC. In such case, you should have the backup of your important folders or work documents so that you can access them on cloud storage and you don’t have to rely on the computer hard disk storage.
Before happening the following scenarios you must consider backing up your folder/file on cloud storage –
- In case of a Hard disk crash
- In case of Windows PC cannot boot
- Windows 10 crash -BSOD (blue screen of death)
- Sometimes you don’t have access to your laptop/computer as you are away
We will now see the two different methods to backup a specific folder in Windows 10 to cloud storage. Both methods are free and require only internet data to sync your files to the cloud.
How to Backup specific folder in Windows 10 to cloud storage?
two easy methods –
- Sync with Google Drive
- Sync with One Drive
We will see both the methods in detail –
Method 1 – How to backup specific folder in Windows 10 using Google Drive
Google Drive provides 15 GB of free storage which you can use to actually backup folder from your windows computer to google drive. You can then restore it or access it anywhere by login into google drive.
Google gives this “Backup and Sync from Google” software to backup specific folder from windows 10. Here’s how to use this software –
- Download Windows Backup and synch from Google software from this link – https://www.google.com/drive/download
- On the page, check for the “Backup & Sync” option and then click on the “Download” button.
- Now, click on the “Agree and Download” option from the popup window.
- Download will start automatically. If not, click on retry option.
- Open the download program- “installbackupandsync.exe” and start the installation process.
- Open the “Backup and Sync by Google” program from the menu.
- Click on the “Get Started” button to start with the tool.
- Enter your Google login credentials i.e Gmail id and password to log in to the app.
- You can now select a specific folder on your computer to start backing up. Click on CHOOSE FOLDER option.
- You can select any folder from any drive that you want to backup.
- Click OK to save your preferences.
- Done! The folder sync will now start in the background. you can view the sync progress from the taskbar.
Method 2 – How to backup specific folder in Windows 10 to One Drive
Windows 10 comes with pre-installed Microsoft One Drive storage. You can use the one drive to backup your important folder easily.
Note: The only disadvantage of using One Drive to backup specific folder is You cant choose a custom folder and you have to keep your files in either Desktop, Documents, or Pictures folder.
- If your computer doesn’t have One drive, download from here – https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/microsoft-365/onedrive/download
- Now, open the settings from start menu and then select the “Update & Security” option.
- From the new screen, select the “Backup” menu item from the left-side menu.
- You can now view the various backing options on the screen. Under “Backup Files to OneDrive”, click on the “Back up files” option.
- The “One Drive” will now start on the new popup window. Here, select the folder that you want to backup and click on the “Start backup” button.
- Onedrive allows only selective folders to backup and sync with Onedrive cloud storage, you have to Copy-Paste or Create your files under those folders only.
- You can view the progress of the backup status from the taskbar.
What are the other ways to backup specific folder to your backup device?
If you don’t want to back up your files to the cloud storage but on Backup Devices such as External Hard Drive/USB stick/SSD etc, then you can use the Windows 10 File History feature.
- From windows settings, click on the “Update & Security” option.
- Select “Backup” option from the left side menu.
- Now click on the “Add Drive” option under Back up using File History option.
- You can now select the drive to sync your files. Select your hard drive, USB stick, or any drive that you want to select as a backup drive.
- Now click on the “More options” option from the screen.
- You can now select the folders that you want to backup, then select “Backup Now” button to start back up process.
Backing up the specific folder in Windows 10 is possibly simple with just a one-time setup. You can easily backup specific folder in windows 10 using Google Drive and Microsoft One Drive. You can also use your external drive to backup specific folder in windows 10 using the file history feature.