Most Mac users are happy using iCloud as their cloud service provider. But if you’ve recently switched from Windows to the Apple ecosystem and earlier using Google Drive, chances are you might have a lot of important data stored there. So, this article will help you install and set up Google Drive on your mac and teach you how to add google drive in mac finder for ease of use and better accessibility.
We have already covered how to add google drive to file explorer on Windows PCs. So if you are interested in reading that, please click below-
To set up google drive on your mac, you need to download and install google drive by using an installer. If you’ve never used a mac before, remember you need to tweak a little setting in order to install apps from developers not identified by mac. So let’s get on with it first-
How to install apps from unidentified developers on macOS:
To allow macOS to install apps from unidentified developers-
- Step 1: Go to your spotlight search and search for System Preferences and open it.
- Step 2: From System Preferences, click on Security & Privacy.
- Step 3: Now, to make any changes to the settings, click on the Lock icon in the bottom left corner and unlock it by putting your password.
- Step 4: Now, in the General tab from the Allow apps downloaded from option, select the second option, which reads- App Store and identified developers.
That’s it; now you are ready to install google drive on your mac-
How to Install Google Drive on macOS:
To add Google Drive on macOS, we need to download Google Drive’s backup and sync installer first. To do that-
- Step 1: Open your preferred browser and visit here- Google Drive Home Page.
- Step 2: Once the page loads properly, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and find the Drive for Mac/PC option. Click on it to open a new download window.
- Step 3: From this page, you’ll find two options- 1. Backup and Sync, and 2. Drive for desktop. On the Backup and Sync option, click on Download, then Click on Agree and Download. This will download Google Drive’s backup and sync installer.
- Step 4: Check the bottom left of your browser, and you’ll find the InstallBackupAndSync.dmg file. Click on it, and it will run the installer. Alternatively, browse the installer from your download folder.
- Step 5: Like you install any application on Mac, drag and drop Backup and Sync from Google to Application, as shown in the screenshot below, and it will install the Backup and Sync application on your Mac. Now it’s time to set it up.
How to Set up Google Drive on macOS:
- Step 1: From your Applications folder, find Backup and Sync from Google app. You may get a warning message on the screen, ignore it and click open.
- Step 2: At this point, the Backup and Sync Application would ask you to access your Desktop, Document, and Download folder. You can click OK to allow or click. Don’t Allow it if you don’t want to. (Screenshot below for reference)
- Step 3: Now, a new setup window will appear. Click on GRT STARTED to start setting up your google drive.
- Step 4: You’ll have to sign in to your Google account(your Gmail ID) to access your google drive on the next screen. The app may allow you to sign in on its own window or redirect you to a web page on your web browser. In either of the cases, sign in and allow access to your account and click on GOT IT on the next screen to continue.
- Step 5: This part is essential; you have to select different folders to back up on this screen. By default, 3 folders are selected- Desktop, Document, and Pictures. You can also select folders of your own choice by clicking on CHOOSE FOLDER option. Now, Choose the upload size of your photos and videos from the options. There is also an option to choose Google Photos. Customize the settings according to your need and click on NEXT to proceed to the next screen.
- Step 6: On this screen, you’ll have the option to Sync your drive to your PC; you can sync the whole drive to your PC, or you can select a specific folder from your drive to synchronize, or you can choose not to sync your drive entirely by deselecting Sync My Drive to this computer option. After selecting your preferred choices, click on START. You’ll see a warning screen in which you have to click Allow. Depending on the size of your drive, this will take some time to sync with your PC completely.
Now that the Google Drive setting up process is over for your macOS. let’s discuss How to add google drive in mac finder-
How to add Google Drive in mac finder:
Although you can find Google Drive Backup and Sync app from your Application folder, it’s always convenient to have it on your finder. The process of How to add google drive in mac finder is fairly simple-
- Step 1: Open a Finder window on your mac to access your hard drive. From there and open the User folder.
- Step 2: From here, open your User name folder( Which is your Home folder) and find the folder named Google Drive.
- Step 3: Now, press and hold the Command Key on your keyboard and drag and drop the Google Drive folder onto your Favorites tab. Once you’ve done that, you’ll be able to access Google Drive from your Finder.
This concluded our today’s article on how to add Google Drive in mac finder. It was really very easy to install, set up, and add the Google Drive shortcut on your finder. But if you didn’t understand any part or have trouble executing any of the above-mentioned steps, please feel free to drop a comment regarding that below, and we will help you get through it. Meanwhile please do read our other articles-