Windows updates are important to run your system smoothly and securely; that’s why Microsoft provides timely updates to its genuine users. But sometimes, when you are updating your system, the download or update process gets stuck, and it doesn’t move beyond 0%. This can be frustrating at times. So, this article will help you fix Windows 10 update stuck at 0% issue with some simple solutions.
How to fix Windows 10 update stuck at 0
In this article, we will discuss 7 solutions that fix windows 10 update stuck at 0 issues. We will start with the simplest of solutions to complex ones gradually. Try them one by one and check if your progress bar moves beyond 0%. If not, go to the next fix. One of these fixes should work for you. So, let’s start-
Fix 1: Wait or Restart your System.
Sometimes, Windows updates are running fine in the background, but the progress bar is stuck in one place for some time. If you give it some time, it may eventually start showing progress. So, get on with your other tasks and wait for at least 15 minutes to check if the progress bar is moving at all. If not, restart your computer once. Please don’t shut down your computer and turn it on again; give it a proper restart from the power menu. This fixes the issue most times. But if this doesn’t work for you, move on to the next fix.
Fix 2: Disable all Non-Microsoft programs.
If a software glitch causes the issue, you can disable all the non-Microsoft apps before updating windows again. To do that-
- Press the Window+R key to open the Run commands box, type msconfig and hit Enter to open the System Configuration window.
- Now select the services tab click on the Hide all Microsoft services option; now click Disable All button to disable all non-Microsoft services.
Now Restart your computer and see if the issue is solved.
Fix 3: Run Windows Update troubleshooter.
If you are still getting windows 10 update stuck at 0 issues, let’s try to run the Windows update troubleshooter program. If there is any with the updater, it should fix them automatically. Here is how to do that-
- Select Start > Settings > Update & Security
- now select Troubleshoot from the left panel and then select Additional troubleshooters.
- Next, under Get up and running, select Windows Update > Run the troubleshooter.
After the process finishes, restart your PC once to see if the problem is solved.
Fix 4: Free up system space.
Windows update requires some free space to download the files and then install them. If you run out of storage, you get the Windows 10 update stuck at 0 problems. Try to free up some space from your system drive. You can also follow our extensive guides on freeing up storage space from below-
Fix 5: Turn off Windows firewall temporarily
Sometimes Windows firewall prevents windows from downloading updates. In this case, turning off the windows firewall temporarily while downloading the update may solve the Windows 10 stuck at 0 issues. To do that-
- From Start> Control Panel go to System and Security.
- Click on Windows defender firewall.
- Now click on Turn Windows defender firewall on or off.
- Now Turn off the Windows defender firewall for both private and public networks and click OK.
Once it is done, try downloading updates again, and don’t forget to turn on the windows defender firewall again after you’ve finished downloading the updates.
Fix 6: Restart Windows Update Service
Restarting Windows Update Service fixes Windows 10 update stuck at 0 most of the time. Doing this is easy-
- Press Window+R to open the Run command box. Type services.msc and hit Enter.
- Scroll down to the bottom of this window to find Windows Update. Right-click on it and click Stop.
- Now, Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. Select all the files located here and delete all of them.
- After doing this, go back to the services window again( Follow steps 1 and 2), and this time right-click on Windows update and click Start.
This should definitely fix the Windows 10 update stuck at 0 issue. If you have any trouble executing these solutions, please drop a comment below and let us know which of these 6 solutions worked for you.
- What are some bad Motherboard Symptoms and how to prevent motherboard from failing?
- How to connect AirPods to Windows 11?
- How to Remove OneDrive From Computer? [1-Click - No command Method]
- How to clean up computer to run faster windows 10?
- How to make Windows 10 faster than ever [21 best settings]
- How to fix Error 0x8000400000000002 in Windows 10? [6 Easy fixes]
- [2 Easy methods] How to fix windows 10 brightness slider missing issue in 5 minutes?