There are many facilities for using a touch screen laptop. You can use your laptop both as a tablet and laptop. But, there can be many reasons to turn the touch screen off. And if you are here searching for how to turn off touch screen on windows 10, then you are at the right place. In this post, I will share the entire process of doing that.
The touch screen allows you to use your laptop with a keyboard, touchpad, and as well as tablet. Thus using a touch screen seems easy for users. But if your screen is damaged using the touch screen, then you need to turn that off. Sometimes touch screen users face mistouch issues. So, turning the touch screen off is the best solution. It will also allow your laptop some more resources, and your laptop’s battery life will also be enhanced.
Laptops with touch screen facility are standard nowadays. But you may not find this feature necessary or valuable, so you need to turn this off. You may find this difficult as you may not be familiar with this kind of process. So, you are at the right place. Read the post till the end, and you will be enlightened with the knowledge of doing that.
The process of turning off the touch screen is easy. But if you didn’t do that before, then you may face problems doing that. You just need to follow every guide step-by-step. That will help you accomplish your purpose easily and without any error.
Windows don’t give you the direct option to turn off the touch screen. To turn off the feature, you must go through some inconvenient ways. Your laptop company can provide preinstalled software to do that. If it doesn’t have the software, you need not worry; you just follow the steps below correctly.
- 1) Why do you need to turn off touch screen on windows 10?
- 2) How to turn OFF touch screen on windows 10? -Two Methods:
- 5) How to turn ON the touch screen again?
Why do you need to turn off touch screen on windows 10?
There can be multiple reasons behind turning the touch screen off on windows 10. The reason varies with the users.
- Your monitor may be damaged and can’t touch properly.
- It consumes more battery, so you want to save battery by disabling this.
- Sometimes it gets mistouched, so you need to turn this off to prevent the mistouch.
- You may find this feature unnecessary.
Whatever the reason is, if you want to turn this off, then continue reading the post.
How to turn OFF touch screen on windows 10? -Two Methods:
There are a couple of ways to turn off touch screen. I am going to mention both of them. Follow either to accomplish your desired work.
A] Using Device manager-
You can simply turn off the touch screen feature on windows 10 using Device manager. Don’t know how? Keep reading-
- First, move your laptop’s cursor to the windows icon and right-click. You can also directly press the windows key + X to open the menu. You can search for the device manager in the search bar.
- Then click on device manager.
- There you will get to see human interface devices. Expand it.
- Go down and look for HID- Compliant Touchscreen. Right-click on that.
- Then click on the disable.
- A pop-up will appear saying, “Disabling this device will cause it to stop functioning. Do you really want to disable it?” click on yes to confirm your choice. That’s it; the touch screen will be turned off.
It was easy. Wasn’t it? I think you have successfully completed the work. But if you are searching for any other way of doing that, then keep reading the post.
B] Using Windows Registry Editor-
You can also do the same task using the Windows registry. It gets more challenging as it includes some complicated processes. If you don’t want to use Device Manager, then you can follow this.
- First of all, go to the windows search bar and search for regedit.
- Then click on regedit.
- A pop-up will appear on your screen saying, “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC?” Click on yes.
- Now a menu will be opened.
- On the left side, you will find HKEY_CURRENT_USER; expand it.
- Under this menu, you will get to see SOFTWARE; expand that.
- Below the side of the menu, you will be able to see Microsoft.
- Scroll down and find wisp. Click on that.
- Now under this menu, you will find Touch. Click that.
- Then right-click on the blank right side of your window.
- Now click on New. A new menu will be opened.
- Click on Dword(32-bit)value.
- After this, a new file will be created. Rename the file as TouchGate.
- Double click on that file. A pop-up box will be opened.
- You will see an option called Value data– set that as 0 and click on ok.
Restart your PC. That’s it. Your touch screen facility will be disabled.
How to turn ON the touch screen again?
You can turn the feature again in the future by navigating through the same steps again.
Through Device manager-
- First of all, device manager, as you have read the post till now, you know how to do this.
- Now expand the folder human interface devices.
- Go down to HID COMPLIANT TOUCHSCREEN and right-click on that.
- After that, click on enable, Then click on yes to confirm your request.
You will now be able to use your touchscreen again.
Through Registry Editor-
- First of all, open Registry editor; you know how to do this.
- Then go to the Touch folder under the wisp folder as mentioned above.
- Now double click on the TouchGate
- Enter the value as 1. Click on ok.
The touch screen will be reactivated.
FAQ on how to turn off touch screen on Windows 10 –
Does this harm the PC?
Simply, the answer is no. Disabling touch screen on windows 10 does not depreciate performance or harm your PC. It enhances the battery and give your laptop some extra resources.
Obviously yes! You can turn on touch screen feature in future whenever you want. I have also mentioned the process of enabling the touch screen again.
As I have mentioned earlier in this post, you can also disable touch screen using device registry. You don't need to use a device manager for this. But I suggest you to use Device manger as it is easier.
If your laptop doesn't come with inbuilt touch screen feature then you can't enable this. If your laptop has this feature, then you can simply enable this using device manager.
I hope I have helped you in knowing how to turn off touch screen on windows 10. Now you will be able to enable/disable touch screen in the future without any problem. I believe that you have liked the post. If so, then share this with your friends and help them in turning off their touch screen.