You may want to backup your emails from Gmail for many reasons. If that is the case with you, this guide is for you. In this article, we will see how to backup Gmail emails in a step-by-step guide.
Requirements for backing up the Emails from Gmail –
- You must know your Gmail account’s password, i.e., Google Account.
That’s it; this is the only requirement to backup and download Gmail Emails.
Now, let’s learn how it’s done stepwise –
How to backup Gmail Emails? – Step by step guide in just 2 minutes.
- Open The browser on your computer/smartphone.
- Open this link – http://myaccount.google.com/.
- Login with your Gmail id and Password.
- From the left menu, click on Data and Privacy.
- Now, on the new page, scroll below and search for “Data from apps and services that you use.”
- Under this option, click on the > arrow in the Apps and Services section.
- Now, on the new page, click on Download Your Data option.
- Google will take you to the ‘Google Takeout‘ Page.
- On this page, click on the ‘Deselect all‘ option and then select only the ‘Email’ option. On the same page, under Email, you can see two more options, click on “All mail Data Included” then select “Include all Messages in Mail” and click on the OK button.
- Finally, scroll the page and, at last, click on the ‘Next Step‘ button.
- On the new page, you can now select the delivery method as – send the download link, add to drive, add to dropbox, add to box, etc. If you want to download the data to your computer, simply select the “Send download link via email” option.
- Frequency, file type, and Size – keep to default, or you may change as per your preferences.
- Finally, click on the “Create Export” button.
- If you have selected ‘Upload to Cloud Storage,‘- you need to provide login details and authenticate the account via API. (Don’t worry, Google won’t see your login details).
- Google will notify you once the backup zip is created. You can then download the backup from the link provided, OR if you have selected upload to some cloud storage, you can access the files by login into particular cloud storage.
Similarly, you can also take a backup of all other services offered by Google, such as Calendar, Chrome, Contacts, Drive, Fit, Photos, and many more.
How to backup Gmail emails to another Gmail account?
Don’t want to take a backup of your emails? Then you can make a copy of your Email to another email to take a backup.
You can forward the emails to another Email account to make a copy of the Email. In this way, you can backup all the emails.
- Open Gmail.com on your computer browser.
- Then click on the Settings icon and select the “See all Settings” option.
- Now, click on the ‘Forwarding and POP/IMAP‘ option.
- Now, click on the Add forwarding address button and enter the new Gmail or any other email ID you own.
- You can now log in to your backup email address and copy the confirmation code.
- Enter this code on the page and click on Verify button.
- You can now click on the ‘Forward a copy of incoming mail to‘ option and then select the backup email id from the dropdown list. Also, choose the ‘Keep Gmail copy in the inbox‘ option.
- Don’t forget to Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
Done; all the future emails coming into the inbox are backed up in the new Email.
Also Read – How to attach an Email in Gmail?
How to backup Gmail Emails with attachments?
Yes, you can also backup Gmail emails which have attachment in it. This you might need so that you can download the attachment later. Let’s see how it’s done –
- Open Gmail.com on your computer browser.
- Click on the Filter icon beside the search bar.
- Select the ‘Has Attachment‘ option.
- Now, click on Create Filter button.
- The filter options will show on the screen. Here, “Forward it to” and select a forwarding email address. Then press the ‘Create Filter‘ button. All the emails that have attachments will be forwarded to the backup email id.
- Suppose you want to download the Email that has an attachment. In that case, you can select Apply the label option and add a new label as “Attachment email” or any label name that you can remember and identify quickly.
- Then go to Google Takeout and download the Gmail Data as per label filtering.
- You can request the backup via the download link and download and back Gmail emails with attachments.
In these simple steps, you can backup all your emails with attachments.
In this guide, we have seen different methods to backup Gmail Emails. You can download the backup on your computer or save it in your cloud backup account. You can also backup the email address to a new email id or even download emails with attachments. We hope you learn how to backup Gmail Emails and get help from this guide. Write to us in the comment section if you have any queries/questions related to Gmail/email.