Disable fast user switching: Microsoft has given some cool features in Windows that help users in day to day life. One of the best features is Fast User Switching. If multiple users are using the same computer, fast user switching allows users to use the computer without interrupting others account. You can easily switch between account without logging out and that too without closing previous user’s work. But at times, you may want to disable fast user switching if way more users logged into your device. Here’s the solution for this. This article helps you to know how to enable/disable fast user switching on Windows 7,8 or 10 and also on Windows XP.
- Why may you want to disable fast user switching?
- How to disable fast user switching Windows 10, 8, 7
Why may you want to disable fast user switching?
Sometimes this feature may disappoint you when more users logged into your computer. If one user opened more RAM hungry programs, the new user might find lag while working or sometimes the computer gets unusable due to heavy load.
In addition to that, you cant restart or turn off the computer without logging out other. Similarly, another user also can’t restart or turn off the computer without you logged out of it. This two main reasons can find trouble in some cases. So, here is the guide to disable fast user switching.
How to disable fast user switching Windows 10, 8, 7
Disabling fast user switching is like one-two-three-go Process. You have to edit some settings on your computer, and you are good to go!
There are 2 ways to disable fast user switching:
- Using Local Group Policy Editor
- Using Registry Editor
Each method is explained in detail.
Method 1. How to disable fast user switching Using Local Group Policy Editor
follow these steps to disable this feature using Local Group Policy Editor
1: Press Windows and R key simultaneously from the keyboard to launch Run Dialog Box.
2: Now type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
3: The new Local Group Policy Editor window popup appears on your screen . from here, go to
Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon
4: Here, from Logon options find Hide Entry Points for Fast User Switching and click on it.
5: To disable fast user switching, click on the enabled button from an opened window and click on OK from the bottom.
You have disabled this feature. Just restart your computer to replicate the changes.
Method 2. Disable fast user switching using Registry Editor
The second method is a bit lengthy but nor that time-consuming.
1. Press Windows and R key simultaneously from the keyboard to launch Run Dialog Box.
2. type regedit and press Enter.
3. you can see the registry editor on your screen. From here, go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows >CurrentVersion > Policies > System.
4. Once you reach on system settings, search HideFastUserSwitching option. If it’s not available, you have to create this file. To do so, right-click on system option and create New – DWORD (32 bit) value.
5. Name the file as HideFastUserSwitching and open it.
6. in the value data field type 1 to disable fast user switching and click OK.
You have now disabled this feature. Just restart the computer to effect the changes.
For Windows XP Users ( Just in Case :p )
For Windows XP users, disabling fast user switching is even more comfortable.
1. Go to Control panel and click on user accounts.
2. Now click Change the way users log on or off option
3. Here you can see “use fast user switching” setting. Keep it unchecked to disable the feature in concern.
How to enable this feature back?
If you want to enable this feature back, you have to revert the changes you made from either of the above methods. For method, one chooses not configured option and save settings. For method 2 replace 1 with 0.
Fast user switching is one of the best features of windows. But in some cases, you may have to disable this option. This guide explains you to how to disable fast user switching with 2 different methods. Also for Windows legacy operating system, Windows XP there is a solution with more straightforward steps.
- How to reduce Brightness below minimum Windows 10?
- How to fix "Touchpad not working in Windows 10"? [9 Easy solutions]
- How to fix critical error your start menu isn't working in windows?
- How to solve "Windows 10 critical process died" error? Find solution here.
- How to clean USB C port on Phone or Laptop without damaging your device
- Fix Windows 10 update stuck at 0[ 6 easy fixes]
- Windows 10 factory reset from boot Easily